Thursday, May 2, 2013

If I could remember

Silently I watch the muse


I rest my elbow on the slithered edge

Sit upon the shreds of an unborn memory

Contemplate into the darkness of an unformed heart

Yet to beat a still life into the pleasure of these tears

Held in an upturned palm

And I ground those tears into dust

 

I licked remorse from your skin

Soaked in silver petulance and tasting of almonds

Leaving my mark upon your cheek in the form of a scar littered in rust

Staring into hollow eyes of jade casting no reflection that is mine

I can see until tomorrow in your dark refractions

Nothing of today coated in sin upon my furrowed brow

 

Longing for the smell of your perfume

Drawing deep breath in hope of remembrance

Less than a glimmer of the life hoped for

Less than a life lived in that heartbeat

Less than a life shed in those tears now ground to dust

Ive lived less of a life for not knowing you


2 comments:

TCPC said...

nice...the built up of specifics from if I could remember

Titus said...

A powerful piece of writing, moving, and I found the final stanza particularly strong - the repetition of 'less' works well, and the final line is a scorcher.

Difficult to read on that background though, or maybe that's just me!