Saturday, August 4, 2012

sarà tuo il mio ultimo bacio? Will my last kiss be yours

Thank you Maddy for the translation


The muse shows me the choice I have


In vita (in life)

 

Am I but a lie in your presence

Ignorant of a trespassers kiss

Yet, I bleed from my eyes

Tears of vermillion

Smudged ruby, blackening a face

Of alabaster dreaming

 

Can such as this be endured

Rested on a bosom 

Pierced through a heart

 

Feathers caress the air, in a flight 

Of angels, chorusing salvation

 

Nella morte (in death)

 

Silent breath kisses a soul

Such as this 

Yet a single strand of hair

Will garrote a neck as lithe 

 

Chaste lain bare

 

Ask me in a lasting breath of forever

Did you love me?

Ever?

 

Shadows remain in your presence

On a wall

Marked in silhouette

Of a past love

 

Lacking the celibacy of a prostitute

Healing a wanton soul

For a tinkle of ivory stars

You where never mine

As I was yours

 

Messages in code

Blanket the night 

Delicate, in secrecy

For others have ears 

As Diablo has eyes

 

And for you

My lasting breath

 

sarà tuo il mio ultimo bacio?

Will my last kiss be yours

6 comments:

Jinksy said...

Mmm... the other language drops is glittering words into the melting pot like jewels which stud a piece of jewellery. Lovely...

Abin Chakraborty said...

the agony and angst of the lover, conveyed through lovely evocative images!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the premise of this poem and the way you have developed your theme for the length of the poem, using critical questions at exactly the right moments.
Good to see you first again on Real Toads.

Janine Bollée said...

Hiya Adrian,
Loved this: a wonderful collaboration of translator and poet. And what a poem it is! I wish I would be able to understand the original version, but Italian is outside my ken.
So glad Kerry stepped in with the comment box.

Scarlet said...

Lovely messages of life and death ~ Yet if given the choice, we would choose love all over again, even if its our last breath ~

Brian Miller said...

i feel your struggle in this...and i like your walk through the questions as well...some interesting phrasing too which is always a perk for me...Lacking the celibacy of a prostitute