Friday, December 21, 2012

Taken innocence

In blackened days the muse tests my faith


“If I reach up n stand on tippy toes

I can almost touch the stars”

 

“If I stand really still

The flutterby will land on me”

 

Sweet innocence and wonder

Soon will change

Impurity grows upon the stage

Silver dollar for every smile made

Amidst the scurry of darkened souls 

Soon crawl inside her skin

Needles have done so before

Replaced by the lace and cigarettes

And the thousand silent smiles

Leeching lurid in the sin

Limited by the crazy 

Living inside this mind

Confession of living lonely

Escape the mouths of babes

Yet nothing will escape

This life that is made

Of whiskey and broken dreams

Nights laid waste

Of days unremembered

All because

 

You took my innocence




8 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Many find they pay a high price for the loss of innocence - you have demonstrated that very well in this poem.
Thank you for your contribution to Real Toads in 2012.

Marian said...

wow. and the consequences of such action are very high, as you so aptly describe. thank you.

Unknown said...

Your work prompted mine today, Adrian. Wishing you blessings, peace, calm.

http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2012/12/24/precious-and-divine/

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

There really is so much truth in this--part of me wishes I didn't resonate so much with this piece--but I do--particularly strong ending I thought--

Brian Miller said...

ugh what sadness that loss of innocence...at some point it happens to all of us...some more grisly than others sadly....hard bit of reality man

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, that loss makes us what we are today. Harsh lessons learnt fast, the downward spiral, the uphill climb, that hopefully shape a responsible person along the way.
Powerful piece.

jasmine calyx said...

I'm so glad I can finally comment! I've always loved your work but have never figured out where to leave my comments. :)

I really like this section:
"crawl inside her skin
Needles have done so before
Replaced by the lace and cigarettes
And the thousand silent smiles"

I don't know if you are open to suggestions or not, but my mind wants to omit a couple of words, for rhythm and tightness:

"Replaced by lace, cigarettes,
a thousand silent smiles"

Completely unnecessary, but just something you might consider for impact. Like I said, I love your work and your voice. Thanks for sharing.

Robert Gibson: PWES Editor said...

Hard hitting and real...

Awesome work!