Monday, March 25, 2013

And the flames still dance

She was my muse ….. once


She died you know

As I sit here watching the flames

Lick 

The side walls of the chimney

The way flames have a way of leaping about

Seemingly with purpose

Yet chaotic at the same time

 

I miss her

A lot

As the drift of scented gum

Wafts

On the cool of the crisp night air

Then dissipates

As though it or my words never existed

But I know they did

Like the flames

Continuing their endless dance

 

We touched our hearts forever

Or so we thought

Darkness enshrouds me now

Reaching in from behind

As the warmth from the fire 

Lights me in hues of red

Casting grotesque shadows on the walls

Impressions of demons

Well at least what I think they look like

Warming that which cannot be warmed anymore

 

I really believed

In forever

Morose 

I tilt my head forward

And drift

Into memories

Into a lifetime

Questioning a life

Why Im now alone

 

Feeling a soft touch on my shoulder

An impression left on the rug

Wrapped around a soul

I know

No one is there

I know 

There never will be again

I know

Yet I can still believe

 

In love

I hold you

In love

I remember you

In love

It is forever

 

And the flames still dance

4 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

I like that this can be your muse, as is the case when we get writer's block, or a relationship. Good to see you, Adrian.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Adrian, such a sad melancholic poem of remembering. I love the touch on the shoulder. When we love forever, even when the loved one is gone, the love is still there. I love the stark beauty in this poem.

Unknown said...

And the flames still dance.
You could not have ended this any other way. Beautiful despite, or perhaps because of, the sadness and loss.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Adrian, the loss, so painful, and it's almost as though the flames play two roles: Dancing to remind you that things change form, and taunting you because fire always has the companion of the log.

This really touched me, Adrian. So glad you posted at Real Toads. Peace, Amy